Sunday, July 3, 2011

Kids not playing outside anymore - Sunrise - Channel Seven - Yahoo!7 TV - Yahoo!7 TV

Kids not playing outside anymore - Sunrise - Channel Seven - Yahoo!7 TV - Yahoo!7 TV: "- Sent using Google Toolbar"

This report tells us something that we probably all know anyway - kids aren't playing outside as much as they used to. What I'd really like to know, though, is what effect this has on them. I believe that being in nature and outside has spiritual benefits that we just don't get when we spend all our time indoors. At the same time, I get that it's harder for parents to let their kids play outside now. When I was a child, I used to go all over the place by myself. Now that I have children, I worry when my 12-year old walks one block to the service station to get milk. And I just can't bring myself to say go down to the park and come back before dinner. I know I'm being over-protective. And I know that I'm stopping them from having valuable outdoor time. But it's a hard one for me. At least we have a good backyard!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment